Every once in awhile I get totally stumped by a quilt. A client will bring something that is different (all kinds of reasons to be different and cause a dilemma) and I have to work out a solution on how to quilt it.
The dilemma here is this: The quilt body is pieced in a Storm at Sea design. It is pieced in a way that it has a strong diagonal design to it, which is unusual for this particular pattern. Sandy wanted to emphasize that diagonal with the quilting.
The second dilemma is that the border is pieced with the Snail’s Trail pattern. She wanted something that would coordinate with the body. Uh huh. Yup. Hmmm, put on my thinking cap. Oh…… and she wanted it non-directional. Yup Yup.
When I get a quilt like this…. one that stumps me… I take photos of it, then print it on regular printer paper in draft mode. Then I draw all over it until I am sure of the design components. It sometimes changes a little once I start stitching the actual quilt, but it certainly helps me cut down on ripping out.
She picked up the quilt yesterday and loved it.
And, as promised…….. here is my Double Wedding Ring (DWR) that I finished piecing last week. I did most of it on Tuesdays and at 2 retreats. I think I may name it Tuesday Wedding.
EWWWWW…… its more wrinkled than most client quilts! No worry, it is shoved back on the hanger to join the multitude of UFO’s waiting to be quilted. I may iron it just before I quilt it. Or not!