All is well. Really. Thank you for caring about us.
The laundry marathon has begun. I was gone for 6 hours today while Steve aired out the house some more. I am on load 5 of laundry.
The worst effect of the chimney fire is that it has kicked up my asthma. I have had 3 asthma attacks in 24 hours. I am resting as much as possible, taking my meds and doing ok. It does make me more tired than normal. I expect to be feeling much better tomorrow.
All of the bedding on my bed is freshly washed and dried, so tonight I should sleep better.
To answer some questions:
We do the chimney sweeping thing twice a year already. We are looking into some other preventative measures to make sure we stay safe.
My late husband and I once had a chimney fire and the fire department put water down the chimney, which cracked the chimney brick and liner. We had to replace the entire thing and it cost a bundle….. financially and time and mess. This is why I was reluctant to call the local volunteer fire company. If it had been worse, I would have made the call.
Someone asked if the fireplace is a wood stove or insert. No and no. Just a fireplace, but it opens on 2 sides. And the mesh screen is just that… mesh. There are no glass doors or anything on it to shut off the air.
Off to do more laundry…. but again, thank you for all of your kind thoughts.