Today was a beautiful sunshiny day, so I thought I would make it a great day and do some snow dyeing. I got my fabric ready by soaking in soda ash, then placed it in my dye buckets.
I also got my cups of dye ready ahead of time. I dumped about a TBS Urea and 2 heaping plastic spoons of dye into a cup of warm water and stirred it up. I am an “accidental” dyer… I don’t pay much attention to measurements because I love the happy accidents that happen.
Then I went out to fill each bucket with snow. DAMN! It was about 5 degrees F!!! F stands for Fricken cold I think. (It was so cold today that Steve’s beard froze this morning…the moisture from his breath. AND he broke one of the cows’ water buckets when he accidently hit it when breaking the ice. The tub shattered.) Sorry…. I digressed.
Then I poured 3 colors, a cup each, of dye on top of the snow. They sat to batch for about 3.5 hours.
When most of the snow was melted (about 3.5 hours) I dumped the snow and dye down the sink and rinsed the fabric in cold water to get most of the excess dye out.
Once rinsed, I threw them in the washer with Synthrapol and let them wash on regular cycle. Then I washed with regular laundry detergent and threw them in the dryer for about 20 minutes. I will iron them tomorrow and take more photos then.
Here is what I have so far:
A silk scarf:
1 yard red/yellow:
1 yard red/blue:
1 yard purple/teal:
1 yard brown:
So….. since the Bears lost (YAY!) the only thing that will make this day better is if the Steelers win!